Skip to main content

Aircel, country's last small mobile phone operator, go for bankruptcy


Aircel, the debt-ridden mobile service provider, and its two units filed for bankruptcy in the National Company Law Tribunal, underscoring the struggles of India’s smaller telcos in a brutally competitive market amid a crackdown on large loan defaulters.

Detailed talks with lenders and shareholders failed to yield a consensus on restructuring Rs 15,500 crore of debt and getting funding, leaving resolution under the Insolvency & Bankruptcy Code, 2016, as the only option, Aircel said in a statement on Wednesday. Aircel’s decision to move the NCLT was spurred by the Reserve Bank of India’s decision to scrap debt revamp schemes in favour of the Insolvency & Bankruptcy Code.

“No agreement could be reached. Under current circumstances, especially after the 12 February 2018 RBI guidelines, the company believes resolution process under the Code is an appropriate recourse,” the company, majority-owned by Malaysia’s Maxis, said in the statement.

Aircel – founded some 19 years ago by C Sivasankaran who sold it to Maxis for about $1 billion in 2005 – is likely the first major company in India to initiate bankruptcy proceedings on its own. So far, lenders seeking to recover loans have taken the lead on this option. ET was the first to report in its February 19 edition that Aircel would file for bankruptcy.

If NCLT accepts Aircel’s request, it will appoint an interim resolution professional who will have 270 days to find funding and buyers as part of a plan to repay lenders. If that is not agreed, the carrier will be declared bankrupt and sent into liquidation.

The telco, which had about 80 million subscribers in January, is struggling to maintain operations and retain users. One tower company has switched off some of Aircel’s base stations and two telcos have withdrawn interconnectivity as pending dues have yet to be cleared. Aircel is now trying to work out pacts with other telcos to keep its network running and facilitate users who want to port out to other operators.

Aircel hasn’t been able to service debt due to falling revenue and dwindling cash flows after prices were slashed amid intense competition with the entry of Reliance Jio Infocomm in September 2016. The operator’s woes were compounded after its parent, under Malaysian businessman Ananda Krishnan, stopped funding it.

A planned merger with Reliance Communications was scuppered by delays in approvals and a Supreme Court order preventing the sale of Aircel’s spectrum in connection with a separate 2G case.

Aircel, which is unlisted, slipped to an operating loss of Rs 120 crore in December.

“The Board of Directors acknowledged that it has been facing troubled times in a highly financially stressed industry owing to intense competition following the disruptive entry of a new player, legal and regulatory challenges, high level of unsustainable debt and increased losses,” Aircel said in the statement on Wednesday, adding that this had hurt both its business and reputation.

The competitive environment has hit even Bharti Airtel, the No. 1 operator, and has driven a merger between Vodafone India and Idea Cellular. The three companies together control over 60% of India’s mobile subscribers.

“In an industry where large players who have developed pan-India footprint are struggling to survive, marginal players never stood a chance,” said Sanjay Kapoor, former CEO of Bharti Airtel India. “Contrary to popular belief, consolidation won’t give reasonable exits. All stakeholders lose out – customers, bankers and vendors.”

Aircel’s woes have affected not just some 5,000 employees, but also vendors and distributors, while licence fees, spectrum payments and taxes are due to the government.

The company said the bankruptcy filing is not aimed at liquidation but is an effort to resolve the current situation in the best interests of vendors, distributors and employees, among others, to keep the company going and manage its operations.

It is the fourth company to be adversely impacted after Jio’s entry. Norway-based Telenor is transferring its assets to Bharti Airtel, which is also acquiring the wireless business of Tata Teleservices. Reliance Communications has shut its wireless services and Jio is buying its wireless assets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wannabe cars of India; From Maruti Vitara Brezza to Jeep Compass, to Bolero-Pajero & more

The Indian car market is full of modified cars. While some of them are modified with elegance and really look unique, many others are modified to look like various other cars. We bring you five such modified cars. Maruti Vitara Brezza – Jeep Compass The Maruti Vitara Brezza is the largest selling utility vehicle in India. The sub 4-meter compact SUV has a lot of buyers and many of them have modified the car to look like Land Rovers. After the launch of Jeep Compass in the Indian market, many Vitara Brezza owners have swapped the front grille of the Brezza with the iconic 7-slat grille of the Jeep. It sure looks good and different but too wannabe, we think. Mahindra Bolero – Mitsubishi Pajero The Mahindra Bolero used to be the top-selling UV in the Indian market before the arrival of the Maruti Brezza. The rugged SUV is quite popular in Tier II and Tier III cities of India. The Mitsubishi Pajero too has quite a fan following in India. The Pajero SFX became extr...

Xiaomi Mi A1 Oreo Beta update now seeding

Xiaomi Mi A1 Oreo Beta update now seeding Last week  Xiaomi was looking for beta testers  of the Mi A1 Android Oreo upgrade. Today the update has finally started seding and we even got a bunch of screenshots from it. The Oreo Beta of the  Xiaomi Mi A1  is 1104 MB in size, and according to an early adopter makes the fingerprint reader on the back is a bit faster. Apparently, the dual-SIM feature is not entirely flawless in this early edition, though. The tests should end soon as  Xiaomi promised that the Mi A1 Oreo stable update will arrive before the end of 2017.

Mi TV 4A Early Access Program for Android 9 Pie Update Announced by Xiaomi

The TVs were originally launched running Android 6-based software. HIGHLIGHTS THE XIAOMI MI TV 4A SERIES IS ON TRACK TO BE UPDATED TO ANDROID 9 PIE Xiaomi has initiated the Early Access Program for the update Only 50 active Mi fans will be chosen for the Early Access Program Xiaomi has seen some success with its TV lineup in India, and the affordable Mi TV 4A that was launched in 2018 is among its most popular options. While the lineup has been replaced by the Mi TV 4A Pro and other similar lines, Xiaomi is continuing to service its original models. Now in line for a firmware update are the 32-inch and 43-inch Mi TV 4A models, with Xiaomi announcing that a major update bringing Android 9 Pie-based Android TV to the popular TV range is in the works. The Chinese electronics company has just initiated an Early Access Program for the Android 9 Pie update for the Xiaomi Mi TV 4A series, with 50 active Mi fans set to be chosen to receive early access to the new f...